top of page

Order of Protection Information

What is an Order of Protection?


An Order of Protection (OP) is a court order which requires the abuser to stay away from you.

The OP may also:

1. Order the abuser to move out of your home;

2. Order the abuser to have no contact with you by any means at all;

3. Award to you custody of any children you have with the abuser, as well as make child support and visitation orders IF there are no previous orders on theses issues;

4. Order the abuser to pay the rent or mortgage on your home, as well as pay some living expenses for you;

5. Award to you specific items of personal property;

6. Order the abuser not to dispose of any of your personal property or mutually owned property;

7. Order the abuser to participate in a court-approved treatment program for batterers or for drug users;

8. Order the abuser to pay for any services you have received from a domestic violence shelter;

9. Order the abuser to pay attorney’s fees or any court costs;

10. Order the abuser not to possess a gun;

11. Order the abuser to pay medical expenses for injuries they caused.

For questions, call our legal helpline (314) 664-6699

Where do I file?

An Order of Protection can be filed the county the abuse occurred in OR the county you live or work in OR the county the abuser lives or works in

Do I need a lawyer to file?

Most counties have advocates available to help with the filing process, but for the hearing that is scheduled after you file, a lawyer is not required but can be helpful, especially if the abuser is able to afford a lawyer and you cannot.

Where can I file after hours? 

Every county has a procedure for applying for an OP in emergencies. Your local police or a 24-hour domestic violence hotline can tell you what to do if you need an emergency OP outside of the court’s normal hours

For more in depth information about the process of filing an Order of Protection, check out our Order of Protection booklet here.  
Area Courthouses

Franklin County:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

300 E. Main, Room 301, Union, MO



Jefferson County:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

300 2nd Street, Hillsboro, MO


Warren County:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

104 W. Main Street, Warrenton, MO



Washington County:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

102 N. Missouri, Potosi, MO


St. Louis City Civil Courts Building:

Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Holidays: 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

10 N. Tucker, 9th Floor, Room 901, St. Louis, MO



St. Louis County:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – noon

105 S Central Blvd, Street Level, Clayton, MO


Lincoln County:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

201 Main Street, Troy, MO



St. Charles County:

Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

300 N. Second Street, St. Charles, MO

636-949-7900 Ext. 7746 or 636-949-7391

Sat/Sun/Other hours: 636-949-1410

bottom of page